I’m really into multi-tasking. Actually, I’m not, but when it works, it really works. Like this recipe for an awesome smoothie AND a batch of yogurt pops. This time I have measurements and everything. I know, crazy.
Random bit of info, but did you know that 1 cup of Fage Total greek yogurt has 23 grams of protein? I love knowing stuff like that. Makes me feel even better about letting Bunky eat a yogurt pop for breakfast every day. And then another after school for a snack!
And the smoothie is for ME, by the way.
Got to take care of myself, as you know. Nourish the mom. Full disclosure I do share sips with Little Guy, but his attention span is pretty short, fortunately.
Tropical Smoothie + Yogurt Pops
- 1 cup of greek yogurt
- 1 cup of mixed tropical fruit (minus the papaya because of my picky kid)
- 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries thawed
- 1 banana
- a splash or two of milk (dairy or dairy free, your choice)
- honey to taste
You’re making the yogurt pops first.
1. Toss all ingredients into your food processor or blender. (Make sure the fruit isn’t frozen solid. If it’s hard as a rock, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, give or take.) Whirl it all up. Add honey to taste.
This will make 2 cups of a rather thick smoothie/pop base. If you add more milk, it will easily make 6 pops. Mine made only 4 because it was super thick. (Next time I’d add more milk so I could get 6. My kid eats them every morning for breakfast, and sometimes my husband sneaks them, so I have to keep up with demand.)
*Ingredient add-ins for part 2, The Smoothie:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax, if desired
2. At this point, you should have about 1/2 cup of smoothie/pop base left. To make the smoothie part, add 1/4 cup of orange juice. Whirl and pour into a glass. Mine made about 12 ounces according to my Ball jar. Add flax if you want to kick it up a healthy notch. Note that this will add a slightly gritty texture. It’s still good, just saying.
You may be wondering how I took so many pictures. I sure was. Until I saw this one and remembered it was a weekend. Check out these two hanging out in a box. My Bunky, her nose in a book. Be still my heart.
It’s also posted on One Creative Weekend, hosted by One Creative Mommy, and Simply Sugar and Gluten Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. * Please note, that the recipes on these link-ups will NOT all be gluten free, so be sure to read carefully.